Matt Scheurer's Blog

Sunday, August 07, 2011

The consequences of stagnation

Here is a cautionary tale from a poem I reworked, because unfortunately a lot of people I know are going to learn this lesson the hard way in the very near future. My best advice is to always keep your eyes, ears, and minds open and pay attention to what is happening around you at all times. Take control of your career because the chances are that no one else is watching out for your future...


When Executive Management came for the content editors,
I remained stagnant;
I was not a content editor.

When they laid off the software developers,
I remained stagnant;
I was not a software developer.

When they outsourced the network engineers,
I did not try to get out;
I was not a network engineer.

When they off-shored the DBAs,
I remained stagnant;
I was not a DBA.

When they took away my job,
there were no other jobs to be found.

1 Comments:

  • Fortunately this post does not directly apply to me and I am not personally in this situation. I wrote it because I know a lot of other good people that are learning this harsh reality firsthand and for all the other readers I intended it to be a warning.

    By Blogger Matt Scheurer, At August 7, 2011 at 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home